With Spring in session, all the fun weekend outings begin. Brunches with friends, family gatherings, and more. It’s always a good idea to have a couple of dresses on hand for when one of those come up. And if you’re on a budget, how about re-using the same accessories? Check out my style board below to…
If you’re like every other busy girl on the go, I’m sure your health tends to pay the price at some point. Too much caffeine, sugar, carbs, little exercise and little sleep just to name a few. I’ve learned the hard way. Keep it going until you burn out. No bueno, my friends. Trust me, you’ll end up with ulcers, hair loss and a nice panic attack. And really, who wants that?
When I feel like I’m overusing my energy, I curb myself now and remember to slow down (for my own health, of course). Using up less than ten minutes of my day, I’ve been able to add in a few things to my daily routine to help me keep going.
Here are 10 tips for a healthier lifestyle I personally use. Hope you can benefit from them, too!
- Stretch Daily. Don’t just get out of bed. Be sure to stretch everything from your head to your toes. Try some shoulder rolls, reach for the sky, toe touches and arch your back. I find this helps relieve any tension and wakes up my body.
- Drink Water. I drink a glass of room temperature water every morning (and half a glass before bed). This helps flush out any toxins and also helps boost metabolism.
- Give Warm Hugs! One of my favorite things to do in the morning is give my little girl a big hug. Then I make sure she stretches, give her a mini shoulder rub and send her off to wash up. Daddy gets a hug, too. And sometimes we group hug- even the dog joins! It’s sort of just become a habit in our house. Hugs are known to be one of the BEST ways to relieve stress, heal illness, depression and anxiety.
- Walk it off. I love taking walks. In fact, I wish I could do it more often. It’s not only good for the heart but also for the mind. For me personally, I find walking helps me clear my mind. I love looking at the trees and just taking in nature. My little chihuahua loves walks, too. And if you have a fur baby that gives you twice the benefits because walking a pet is also known to prolong and improve the quality of life.
- Meditate. Wether you pray, meditate or just enjoy some quiet time, these things are good for the soul. I try to take a moment every day to thank my God for all the blessings in my life. I also ask for guidance in the things I am trying to focus on for the day and protection from anything that can stop me. Some days,when I am feeling overwhelmed, I just close my eyes and breathe. It’s really whatever works for you.
- Get to Snackin’ Snacks are a must for a busy schedule but don’t confuse a good healthy snack with junk food. Donuts, chips and soda are NOT snacks. Opt for healthier choices like grapes, almonds, baby carrots or celery. The difference in these type snacks is that they contain vitamins and minerals. Not into that? Try some yogurt or nutritional bars.
- Floss those Pearly Whites! So when my hygienist stresses the importance of flossing, it’s definitely for a reason. Healthy gums promote a healthier life. Uncared for gums can cause bacteria to spread into your body which can later cause major issues like heart disease.
- Take DailyVitamins. Everyone needs vitamins. Unless you eat every required food from the food pyramid , you are not excused. I take a gummy multi vitamin that’s specifically made for women plus I also take vitamin D and B12 on top of that. Let’s face it, we’re not getting any younger and as we age, we need stronger bones, immune systems and more.
- Make more Time. Wake up a little earlier (think 5-10 minutes). Instead of taking the coffee to go, sit down and enjoy it. Take those extra minutes to sit down for breakfast with the family or step outside for fresh air. Turn on the radio and dance! Whatever it is you would enjoy doing for an extra five minutes, do it. You start the day feeling so much better.
- Catch those Z’s. I have a terrible habit of going to bed late. The hubster often steps into my home office to remind me of the time. He reminds me of a cuckoo clock. ha! He does it for my own good though. I used to get annoyed and shoo him away and stay up until 3 am working to then wake up feeling so tired the next day and functioning with less energy than a zombie. So, now when he comes in. I take a deep breath and say “ok, I’m done for tonight,” and then I get ready for bed. Sometimes, there’s even time to catch a show. I find I feel more relaxed and wake up with more ease the next day. So, make sure you catch those z’s, because well, you need them.
What do you do to help stay healthy?
Free this weekend? Walmart stores will be hosting America’s Biggest Health Fair on October 10 from 12-4pm. Get free health screenings, health insurance education, product demonstrations, gift bags and more. It’s the perfect event to attend if you want to learn about healthier lifestyle options. With a free health screening, you will be able to complete your personal medical history and keep it as a reference for you and your doctor to review. It’s important to know where you stand with your health so you know what you need to focus on when taking care of yourself. And you can bring the family, too. These events are free and open to the public. How great is that?!
Disclaimer: This post is a collaboration with chichi MARY , all opinions are my own.
Fall is upon us. Breezy mornings, dried up leaves on the ground and pumpkin flavored coffee ads are reigning our days now. For me, the most exciting thing about Fall is the fashion. I just love layering and pairing boots with every look possible. And when it comes to dressing up my little girl, I layer her up, too! So, here it is. Our first Fall look for the mini fashionista! See below how we achieved fall layering featuring a red bubbly dress!
For this look, we paired a chocolate brown blazer with this gorgeous Red Brocade Dress by Sophie Catalou . The dress features a festive gold design, so we added a sparkly gold headband to compliment the look.
The dress hits just above the knee which makes it perfect to pair with some knee high boots. The quality and fabric of the dress is also great. Liana loved the bubble hem of the dress- according to her, “it just makes it more stylish and fancy!”
The blazer is great for layering, but once it comes off you can truly appreciate this oh so stylish dress. It’s the perfect fall dress- wear it for a family photo, special occasion, even the holidays. You can’t go wrong. (and right now they’re offering free shipping for orders above $29.99!)
And because our pooch kept on trying to get in the pictures, we decided to let her be in a couple of shots
Can you tell how happy she makes this kid? All smiles and giggles every time!
“Happy girls are the prettiest.”
*This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own. All images belong to me and may be used with proper credit and permission.
One of my favorites is the moto style jacket. It’s edgy and can be the statement piece for any look. Pair with a white tee and jeans or a mini dress and heels.
Warning- this style jacket makes you feel bad ass and gives you confidence to take on the world.
This season you will see a lot of plaid. From oversized scarves to coats, capes and ponchos.
Remember, we are being heavily influenced by the 70’s this season, so if you like plaid, go for it.
Cozy, warm, stylish and just plain fun. Need I say more?
You can never go wrong with a classic. From the wrap coat to the walker and cocoon style coat, these are all gorgeous styles.
And they can last you for quite some time. Great for dressing up and down. Try a classic coat with some ripped jeans and sneakers for a fun casual look.
My favorite part of dressing up are the fun accessories! Have fun with it by choosing colors that pop with your coat or jacket.
Add a boyish wool hat or a fancy barret to give your look more elegance. The right accessories will really make the look.
What’s your favorite style for the changing seasons?
I love New York in the fall. Change of weather, light breeze, and especially the FASHION. Layers, warmer tones, denim, leather and prints. For NYFW, I wanted to put together a look that showed just that. I opted for a faux leather skirt in a pale pink color paired with a denim chambray top. To add pops of print, Elliott Lucca‘s Autumn Botanica printed bag and shoes were just perfect.
The Artisan Brigitte satchel is just perfect to sport during NYFW. I have room for my camera, wallet, flats, make up and more. It’s roomy enough to carry your essentials but at the same time, stylish and fun. It can also be worn as a crossbody.
The Autumn Botanica print, which is new for Fall, is inspired by still-life oil paintings. This print makes the perfect addition to your look. Wether you mix patterns (think florals and stripes!) or pair these accessories with a solid color, you’re sure to make a statement.
The Catalina heel in Autumn Botanica is a definite show stopper. I got so many compliments on these while in the city. And surprisingly, they were pretty comfortable for a heel! With all the walking during this busy week, I carry flats in my bag but I made it to and from the train with no problem this day. I wore the bag and the shoe together but you can mix and match as well. See below, an alternate look using this shoe.
This look is more simple. Black and white is always classic, but add a shoe that pops and a statement necklace and you’re good to go!
Like the Autumn Botanica designs? Visit Elliott Lucca and receive 15% off of your first purchase by signing up for the mailing list!
Today’s post is sponsored by Elliott Lucca, but my love for their Artisan Collection is all my own!
Photo Credit: a supportive hubby!
Western fashion isn’t just for cowgirls and cattle-wranglers. Many of today’s hot fashion trends happen to be western-inspired. EQL, an online destination for fans of authentic equestrian apparel and lifestyle, has put together a list of some clothing and accessories that have ties to the Wild Wild West.
Named one of the four pieces you should definitely have this summer by WhoWhatWear, turquoise is found in regions with little rain where water seeps through natural rock and interacts with copper deposits, so it’s no surprise there’s plenty of it in the West. Native Americans were the first to discover turquoise and craft it into jewelry.
Fringe is finding resurgence on everything from shoes to jackets, and Refinery29 is embracing it to the fullest, urging everyone to have some fun with it, too. Fringe was created in the West to serve as a type of gutter that repelled rainwater. Fringe is a border or edge of hanging threads, cords, or strips, and is often found on garments made from suede, leather, and buckskin.
There’s nothing like a good pair of jeans, and we’re seeing more and more celebrities and tastemakers double up on denim, and GLAMOUR approves. Denim dates back to the 1800s when gold miners wanted clothes that were strong and did not tear. A man called Leob Strauss partnered with a Nevada tailor to patent an idea for putting rivets on stress points of workman’s waist high overalls, known now as jeans.
Western-inspired fashion is not leaving anytime soon. In July 2015 Tom Ford debuted a chic, Western-inspired fall 2015 ad campaign that includes plenty of patchwork, denim, suede, fur, fringe and leather.
What’s your favorite western inspired style? Denim? Fringe? Leather?
Guest Post written by: Hannah Madsen
The most common question I get when readers ask me for beauty advice is about under eye circles. Women always want tips or tricks on how to get rid of dark puffy under eye circles. I usually recommend placing cold cucumber slices under the eyes, teabags, and a good concealer.
That is, until I recently tried the VII Code 02m Oxygen Eye Mask. The company sent me a box of these little cold pads to try out. At first, I was skeptical but after trying them out for the first night I did notice a difference. Though I am not one to suffer from very bad circles, I do tend to work a lot on the computer into the late hours and wake up looking crazy tired at times. Trust me, it’s not cute and I look sick like I haven’t eaten in days.
The VIIcode O2M Oxygen Eye Mask uses oxygen-producing plant extracts to repair the skin around your eyes and prevent wrinkles, crow’s feet and other similar issues. Using the little eye masks give your skin cells additional energy and a stronger capacity to repair and rejuvenate. The result is your skin being smoother and stronger.
Each box comes with 6 packets of eye mask sets. They are easy to use. Simply open the packet, peel off the clear film and stick onto your under eye area. After you put the eye masks on, you get your beauty sleep. I find it hard to sleep with anything on my face so it did take me two tries to get the hang of it. Once I did use the masks for a full night’s rest, I did see a difference.
The pads are cold and give your under eye area a soothing feeling. Similar to a cold gel mask or a cold spoon. It’s quite relaxing.
Getting my beauty rest on…
Overall, I think these little eye masks are pretty neat. I love the feeling of the coolness on the eyes and they do work. They basically give you a more rested appearance. If you have trouble with your under eye area, I would recommend these.
*The product was sent to me for review. All opinions are my own honest opinions. I am not being compensated for this post.
School’s back in session and that usually means the morning rush is back, too! For many moms, that can be a challenge- especially when it comes to hair do’s. It’s ok, we get it- the pigtails can’t always be perfectly even and the pony tails sometimes just come undone. But with the advice of a pro, it can help to learn a few new do’s to simplify life in the mornings with little girls. Tony of Bombshell Hairdressing (located in Cranford, NJ), took some time out of his busy schedule to show me three different back to school hair styles I could try on my daughter for back to school. He went from a super cute dutch braid (that can be pinned up for an alternate look), to the fish tail braid and the popular top knot. Watch the video to see how Tony does it!
And now, it’s time for a giveaway! We’ve teamed up with Bombshell Hairdressing to gift one lucky reader and their daughter a Mommy & me blowout PLUS a quick styling class on how to create these lovely hair do’s! All you have to do is enter below. Good luck!
Contest rules: *Must be over 18 to enter or have parent’s permission *Must reside in the United States and be willing to visit Bombshell Hairdressing *Must claim prize within 48 hours and use gift certificate by 12/2015
*Disclaimer: I am not being paid to promote Bombshell Hairdressing. All opinions are honest and my own.
Road trips are the best! Every year, as a family we try to get a couple of road trips in before the end of summer. This year we decided on visiting Mystic, Connecticut. Why Mystic? Really because it’s something different and not too far of a drive. We heard great things about the small town- plus it’s tie to the iconic 80’s flick, Mystic Pizza, makes it more interesting. We spent three days in Mystic and explored some neat historical sites, dined at some yummy places (see our first impression of Mystic Pizza in the vlog), went sailing on a historical boat, and saw lots of cool sea creatures!
Liana enjoyed our visit to Mystic because it’s such a family friendly place. We especially loved the Mystic Seaport Museum which is basically set up like a small interactive village set in the 1800’s and the aquarium. Traveling with a curious nine year old can sometimes be a challenge. You have to keep them happy, entertained and make sure to dine at places with food that fits their appetite. Mystic was definitely easy to do that. And in only a few days, you can experience what they have to offer since it’s such a small area between two towns. Check out our travel vlogs for highlights on our visit to Mystic, CT.